Skip to main content

Review: The Toss of a Lemon, by Padma Viswanathan


The Toss of a Lemon opens up in India at the turn of the nineteenth century, when Sivakami, the youngest daughter of a Brahmin family, is ten. Married to Hanumarathnam, a healer, she learns that, upon the birth of a son, he will die two years after. Sivakami has two children: Thangam, the beloved “golden child,” whose life follows a more traditional path, and Vairum, who embraces the traditions of the west as he grows older. As the twentieth century progresses, the two children have families of their own, and Sivakami becomes a respected matriarch in their village. Attached to this family is their servant, Muchami, who comes to them at age 13 and becomes almost a part of the family—even though he is from a different caste. This book is very much about the power that family plays in each character’s life.

The underlying theme of this book, however, is fate, and the title reflects this: lemons are seen as an innocuous instrument of a person's fate (I'm paraphrasing the author here). So many of these characters live their lives according to what is preordained for them in their horoscopes--which aren't always accurate, as it turns out. Each of these characters’ fates is unique, and these are people you come to care about as they grow and develop.

It’s a long novel; at over 600 pages, this book took me a while to read. But that’s not to say that this novel is cumbersome; rather, the opposite. A family saga needs to be this long at least, in order to tell the story properly. And in the end, the effort is worthwhile. The India that Viswanathan describes here is not the India that we’re used to reading about; even the British, whose presence in India was so pervasive, are nearly absent here. Like the little bits of gold that Thangam leaves in her wake, this book is truly magical. Viswanathan is an excellent writer.

Note: I'm having "reader's block" right now, so over the next number of days I'll be going back into my Amazon.com archives to dig up reviews of favorites/ not-favorites. It'll be interesting to see how my reviewing style has grown over the past four years or so!

Also reviewed by: Literary License, Ramya's Bookshelf, Bookopolis

Comments

Anonymous said…
Aha! I'm not the only one who gets "readers' block" which is an interesting way to put it.

Thanks for a fine review of the Viswanathan book. I really enjoy reading Rohinton Minstry and other Indian writers, so I'd probably get into this one.
LisaMM said…
I like Indian writers, too. Jhumpa Lahiri and Rohinton Minstry are favorites.

I looked around your site to try and find your email address, but can't.. could you please email me at LisamunleyATcaDOTrrDOTcom ? I need to ask you a question privately!!
Danielle said…
I didn't realize this was such a long book! I've requested it at the library. It sounds really good, though, so I hope I can manage it on the short check out time they give us!
Anonymous said…
Despite my frustration with God of Small Things, which I'll try to re-read, I enjoy reading Indian writers. I found their writing excellent and characters etched. I'll have to look for this novel--I like chunkster. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Another giveaway

This time, the publicist at WW Norton sent me two copies of The Glass of Time , by Michael Cox--so I'm giving away the second copy. Cox is the author of The Meaning of Night, and this book is the follow-up to that. Leave a comment here to enter to win it! The deadline is next Sunday, 10/5/08.

A giveaway winner, and another giveaway

The winner of the Girl in a Blue Dress contest is... Anna, of Diary of An Eccentric ! My new contest is for a copy of The Shape of Mercy , by Susan Meissner. According to Publisher's Weekly : Meissner's newest novel is potentially life-changing, the kind of inspirational fiction that prompts readers to call up old friends, lost loves or fallen-away family members to tell them that all is forgiven and that life is too short for holding grudges. Achingly romantic, the novel features the legacy of Mercy Hayworth—a young woman convicted during the Salem witch trials—whose words reach out from the past to forever transform the lives of two present-day women. These book lovers—Abigail Boyles, elderly, bitter and frail, and Lauren Lars Durough, wealthy, earnest and young—become unlikely friends, drawn together over the untimely death of Mercy, whose precious diary is all that remains of her too short life. And what a diary! Mercy's words not only beguile but help Abigail and Lars

Six Degrees of Barbara Pym's Novels

This year seems to be The Year of Barbara Pym; I know some of you out there are involved in some kind of a readalong in honor of the 100th year of her birth. I’ve read most of her canon, with only The Sweet Dove Died, Civil to Strangers, An Academic Question, and Crampton Hodnet left to go (sadly). Barbara Pym’s novels feature very similar casts of characters: spinsters, clergymen, retirees, clerks, and anthropologists, with which she had direct experience. So it stands to reason that there would be overlaps in characters between the novels. You can trace that though the publication history of her books and therefore see how Pym onionizes her stories and characters. She adds layers onto layers, adding more details as her books progress. Some Tame Gazelle (1950): Archdeacon Hoccleve makes his first appearance. Excellent Women (1952): Archdeacon Hoccleve gives a sermon that is almost incomprehensible to Mildred Lathbury; Everard Bone understands it, however, and laughs